Sharing Cities Network Toolkit
Responding to the calls from organizers in the SCN who articulated the need for a cohesive repository of the tools and resources necessary to support their cities on the path to becoming a Sharing City.
To meet this need we are creating the Sharing Cities Toolkit; an evolving compilation of resources comprised of a mix of How-to’s, Project Guides, example Policy and tried and true Models and Advice. While a lot of these resources have been either created or published by Shareable over the last five years we are curating the best content we can find and have pulled resources created by many other organizations.
The Sharing Cities Toolkit is an Alpha version. The Sharing Cities Network is a project of Shareable.net that connects local sharing activists in cities around the world for fun, mutual support, and movement building.”
PLEASE SHARE YOUR RESOURCES THROUGH THE FORM AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE]
Table of Contents
- 'Sharing City Organizing'
- 'Community Action Guides'
- 'Legal Advocacy Resources'
- 'Project Specific Resources'
- 'Fundraising Resources'
- 'Sharing Economy Presentations'
- 'Tools For Organizing'
- 'General Nonprofit Resources'
- 'Contribute to this Toolkit'
SHARING CITY ORGANIZING
- How to Start a Sharing City - What to know before you start, how to activate your city, with a basic outline of how a sharing city might grow and evolve.
- Principles for True Sharing Economy (draft)
- 'Lessons from a Sharing Economy Organizer' - The basics of community organizing to get your sharing city movement off on the right foot.
- 'How to Organize a Swarm (Notes)' by Rick Falvinge
- 'How to Engage Your Community in Your Project' - best practices for creating an inclusive and participatory project that your community get get behind
- 'How to Integrate Open Collaboration into Your Project' Principles to creating open collaborations that work and questions to think about when making your project more open collaborative.
- '2014 #MapJam Guide' - Hosting a map jam is a great way to support, assess and connect your sharing community. '(2013 Version)'
- 'How to Organize a ShareFest Guide', 'ShareFest Webinar', 'ShareFest Video' and 'ShareFest Toolkit' - Everything you need to organize a ShareFest and jumpstart your local sharing movement. Portuguese version
- 'How to Start a Gift Circle' - This guide will help get your group in the practice of sharing to support each other from the start.
- 'How to Start a Sunday Soup' - This democratic crowdfunding dinner model can help fund new local sharing projects on an ongoing basis with little effort and rally community support for them.
- 'How to Host a Great Sharing Event' - Tips from experienced sharing community organizers.
- 'How to Organize an Event' - A helpful guide for large events
- 'Open Space Technology' - For increasing meeting participations and bringing together diverse groups of people for a common purpose. See in multiple languages.
- 'World Cafe' - To create great discussions (in multiple languages).
- 'Get Media for Your Sharing Event' - Follow these 10 steps to capture media attention for your sharing project or event.
- 'Sharing City Plan for LA'
- 'Sharing City Seoul: A Model for the World'
COMMUNITY ACTION GUIDES
- 'How To Share Project Library' - 200+ guides written by expert practitioners and Shareable's writers to make your community, city and your life more fun and shareable.
- 'Guide to Sharing' - Co-produced by the Center for a New American Dream and Shareable, this guide explores 4 action ideas to make your community more shareable: Organize a Community Swap (clothes), Lend Locally (tool libraries), Share Time, Labor, and Skills (timebanks), and Set Up a Co-op (solar co-ops).
- 'New Dream Webinars' - Excellent video presentations hosted by Center for a New American with practitioners teaching exciting topics like How to Start a Tool Library and Community Solar 101.
- 'Cultivate Coop Library' - From starting up to good group process, this site contains your free, complete guide to cooperatives.
- 'Transition Online Trainings' - Videos on projects and the process of making the transition to a more sharing and sustainable world.
LEGAL & ADVOCACY RESOURCES
- 'Sharing Cities Policy Primer' - Shareable and Sustainable Economies Law Center (SELC) present Policies for Shareable Cities: A Sharing Economy Policy Primer for Urban Leaders. This 40 page guide curates innovative, high impact policies that US city governments developed to help residents share resources, co-produce, create their own jobs, and share food, housing, and transportation. Available in Korean.
- 'SELC's Legal Guides' - Legal support books on worker cooperatives and food justice enterprises.
- 'SELC's Legal Libraries' - Extensive legal resources on coops, community currencies, community food, community enterprise, and urban ag.
- 'MoveOn Petitions' - Start a campaign for your sharing policy campaign using MoveOn's free petitions.
PROJECT SPECIFIC RESOURCES
- 'Land Trusts'
- 'Gift Circles'
- 'Tool Libraries'
- 'Seed Libraries'
- 'Bike Kitchens'
- 'Skillshares and Free Schools'
- 'Swaps, Free Stores and Really Really Free Markets'
- 'Worker Cooperatives'
- 'Participatory Budgeting'
- 'Cooperatives (general resources)'
- 'Housing Coops'
- 'Food Coops and Buying Clubs'
- 'Childcare Coops'
- 'Community Gardening and Yard Sharing'
- 'Solidarity Economy'
- Help us build this guide, 'email us' with your resources or fill out the form below.
- 'Shareable's Seed Grant Program' - for sharing projects in low wealth communities anywhere in the world
- 'New Economy Coalition Youth and Student Grants' to organize US colleges around new economy projects, campaigns and convenings
- 'How to Start a Sunday Soup' - democratic crowdfunding competition dinner model
- 'Transition Philadelphia Giving Circle' - community funding circles model and grants for Philly
- 'RSF Social Finance Seed Grants' - for US applicants
- 'New Dream's Neighborhood Challenge' - matching grant with crowdfunding for US and Canada
- 'The Six Pillars of Fundraising' by OurCommunity
- 'Ten Nonprofit Funding Models' by Stanford Social Innovation Review
- 'Crowdfunding Webinar' by Ian MacKenzie
- 'How to Run a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign' by Joe Brewer
- '5 Best Practices in Crowdfunding' by Rob Wu
- '20 Things that Make a Superior Thank You Letter' by Penelope Burk
- 'Creating a Membership Program'
- 'How to do a Membership Campaign'
- 'What Should be Included in a Letter of Inquiry' by GrantSpace
- 'How to Make Your Letter of Inquiry a Winner' by Joanne Fritz
- 'How to Write a Grant Proposal' by Joanne Fritz
SHARING ECONOMY PRESENTATIONS
- 'The Sharing Economy' by Kelley Rajala of Share Exchange
- '#Sharing Economy' by Simone Cicero of OuiShare
- 'Policies for Shareable Cities' by Yassi Eskandari-Qajar of SELC
- 'The Evolution of the Sharing Economy' 'Powerpoint' or 'PDF' by Neal Gorenflo of Shareable
- 'The Sharing Economy: A 21st Century Solution for Government's Most Challenging Problems' by Julie K. Davis of the Shared Economy Association and TechAssure Association
- 'Policies for Shareable Cities: How to Catalyze Just and Resilient Local Economies' by Yassi Eskandari of Sustainable Economies Law Center presented by Transition US
TOOLS FOR ORGANIZING
- 'SCN Community Pages:' Application to create a page, guide and webinar for page management
- 'Websites:' Wordpress
- 'CRMs for organizing:' CivicCRM, Nationbuilder, Salesforce, Filemaker, Salsa
- 'Local events:' Facebook, Meetup, Eventbrite, Brown Paper Tickets
- 'Newsletters:' MailChimp, Constant Contact
- 'Listservs:' Google, Yahoo, GNU Mailman
- 'Forums:' Drupal Commons
- 'Volunteer Management:' Volunteer Spot, ShiftBoard
- 'Decision-making:' Loomio
- 'Crowdfunding:' Razoo, IOBY (US only), Go Fund Me, Pozible, Indigogo, StartSomeGood,Coopfunding.net, P2P Foundation Top 40 Sites, Top 100 Crowdfunding Sites, Crowdfunding Review Comparison
GENERAL NONPROFIT RESOURCES
- 'Short Guide to an Anti-Oppressive Organization' by the AORTA Collective
- 'Steps to Starting a Coop' by CCCD
- 'Governance is Life: Organizational Governance for the Next Economy' by SELC
- 'Holacracy Quick Start Guide'
- 'Cooperative Leadership Guide'
- 'Crafting Points of Unity'
- 'How to Make Better Decisions Together' - an outline and tools for communication and collective decision-making.
- 'Five emails your nonprofit should be sending'
- 'Shareable's Social Media Webinar'and 'Notes'
- 'Beginner's Guide to Social Media Best Practices'
- 'How Apply as a Tax Exempt Sharing Organization' - by SELC